Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Analogy

OK, for the benefit of Niall.


The database is like a castle surrounded by a moat.

The instance is the drawbridge.

When the drawbridge is in place, you get easy access back and forth to the castle. That's what it's there for.

When you take the drawbridge out of position, you can still see the castle, you know it is still there, you just can't reach it.

(I can't believe I've just explained the concept of database and instance to an Oakie ;-))

I like analogies. I've always found it easier to 'get' a concept when I have a real world situation to liken it to. (But then again, I am a blonde!)

I use analogies a lot when trying to explain things to non-technical people, as well as Newbies.

5 Comments:

Blogger Niall said...

I like it, especially if you consider that RAC is like a castle with 2,3 or 16 different drawbridges all of which need to be defended etc. I mean what kind of fool would do that.

When I explain this I have this diagram with circles for processes, scraps of paper for files, a chess board for the buffer cache, arrows between circles and paper for io, rounded rectangles for memory pools... Sometimes its colour coded if I can find a pen.

and then there's the multi-instance version of the same thing with ASM.

perhaps I should work out how to do a powerpoint animation to finally kill off my dazed audience.

yep, castles is good.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:33:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ask Julian for advice on amazing powerpoint presentations.

:-)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:03:00 pm  
Blogger shrek said...

i like it. maybe i'll even steal it for a presentation, if i ever do one again.;-)

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 11:42:00 pm  
Blogger Peter K said...

Oops, didn't get to see this entry before posting a comment on the previous one.

Good one.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

same here tho i was right :-).

s.b.

Monday, March 06, 2006 10:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home