Friday, October 21, 2005

Newbie Websites

In my previous post, we looked at books that were good for Newbies.

Now, I want to look at resources available on the internet.

As Niall commented, sometimes you just can't beat a Google search.
However, I've found that sometimes this can also be problematic.

As an example,a Google search for ORA-01555 returned 47,300 hits!
That's potentially a lot of links to search through before you find something useful.

The Oracle section of my favourites list is huge.

The most commonly used ones are probably:

Metalink
AskTom
Oracle-L Archives
OTN
Orafaq
Oracle Documentation


There are other sites I browse, but if I'm looking for something specific, I can usually find it on one of these sites.

They're all pretty easy to use and contain useful material and I think that all Newbies should be familiar with these sites.

Like I said, there are others, this is by no means an exhaustive list!

Which other sites do you regularly search if you need information?

8 Comments:

Blogger shrek said...

i used to go to lazydba.com, but i haven't been there in a long time. they used to have a pretty good files section.

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Ram said...

Personally, I would have pushed Oracle Documentation 3 or 4 spots higher up in the list.

Monday, October 24, 2005 7:49:00 am  
Blogger Peter K said...

As an example,a Google search for ORA-01555 returned 47,300 hits!

You got to remember that an awful lot of these hits are actually also to the Oracle documentation


Ram said...

Personally, I would have pushed Oracle Documentation 3 or 4 spots higher up in the list.


Well said.

Monday, October 24, 2005 7:13:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

I probably should have made specific reference to the fact that the list is not in order of importance or preference.

If it was, then Peter and Ram are correct, the Oracle Docs would be up there at the top.

Sorry about that.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:34:00 am  
Blogger Niall said...

bluesnews.com


Oh what? Oracle related. Sorry.


I rather like orafaq.com though my personal order is

google (its rare a sensible search turns bad)
otn
metalink (I hope that tells Oracle something)
asktom
usenet (via google )
Oracle-l

Its rare that I get down to asktom...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:50:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

Besides the obvious ones like metaclick, otn, asktom, tahiti, etc, this one:

http://www.akadia.com/html/publications.html

is always full of surprisingly pertinent info. Certainly from the point of view of the beginner, I'd give it a twist or two.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:41:00 am  
Blogger Yanivus said...

Also try: http://www.psoug.org/

They have quick to-the-point lookup for various commands - very handy - for example: for DBMS_STATS, here is quick lookup: http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_stats.html

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:39:00 pm  
Blogger Norman Brightside said...

I occasionally visit Jonathan Lewis' Oracle site and end up spending a lot more time there than originally intended...

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/

Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home