Monday, October 31, 2005

UKOUG Day 1

I'm updating this from the internet cafe section at the UKOUG.

So far, it's been a good day - ish.

It started out quite bad, due to a power cut in the centre of Birmingham.
Luckily, I'd decided on a lie in this morning (probably due to excessive alcohol last night) so I wasn't caught out like some others who were in the middle of taking a shower when they were plunged into darkness!

The start of the conference was delayed by almost an hour as they had to reset all of the registrations systems - lots of people hanging round with nothing to do.
But we started eventually, there was not much of a delay to the agenda, it was the keynote session that suffered as it had to be shortened.

I've attended presentations by Tom Kyte and Jonathan Lewis so far today. Jonathan gave an intro to the CBO and I actually understood all of it!
That is not meant to insinuate that I wouldn't normally understand Jonathan, it's just in comparison to how overwhelmed I was by some of the technical presentations last year. Maybe I've learned something since!

I was due to introduce Lex De Haan's presentation this afternoon, but unfortunately he has been unable to attend today. The presentation will instead by given by Tom Kyte, and introduced by Mogens.

Tonight is the night of the Blogger's Dinner, organised by Mark Rittman.I'll be going along, but hopefully not overdoing it as I am presenting in the morning - need to keep a clear head!

I've managed to meet a few new faces this year, and have been remembered by some people from last year so all in all it's been quite a social event.

I have to admit that the highlights so far have been Wolfgang Breitling telling me he liked my Blog, and Mogens admitting he'd missed me.

2 Comments:

Blogger shrek said...

damn, i'm jealous girl.;-)

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 5:06:00 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

watch out for Mogens. he's a charmer...

of course people missed you.... you are unforgettable

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home