Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Lazy Newbies

Tom Kyte has had a good rant on his blog this morning.

He's seriously disappointed in the attitude of a Newbie that has approached him for help. I don't blame him, and I doubt anybody else will.

One of the points I have tried really hard to get across, through some earlier postings on my blog, and in my presentation, is that if you want other people to help you, you have to learn to help yourself first.

You can't demand that other people tell you step by step what to do, to me that is tantamount to asking them to do your job for you.
I've said all this, and more in my How to be a Good Newbie and Newbie Hints and tips posts.

I've even gone so far as to suggest the things you need to know, and what are the best ways of learning them.

In being a Newbie, the most important part of the learning process is to actually 'understand' what you are doing. Blindly following instructions, without fully understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it is just plain dangerous.

Read the concepts guide, read the backup and recovery manuals and try things out on a test system in order to make sure that you understand what you have learned.

It is attitudes like the person in Tom's post that give Newbies a bad name.

Being a Newbie DBA is a challenge in itself, please don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bill S. said...

Funny how folks seem to think that they don't need to know anything to be a DBA. I am glad that isn't a predominant attitude in medicine (I HOPE).
Every job requires a skill of some sort - you either have a natural ability for it (which makes learning easier) or you have to work hard at learning it (which makes learning tougher). Either way involves learning; otherwise, as Tom so nicely put it, what are you needed for?
Glad to see you writing more, Lisa!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:23:00 pm  
Blogger shrek said...

and it's not even a good question. if you want a good answer you have to ask a good question... oh wait, that takes time and brains.

*sigh*

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:35:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

bill s. said...

Glad to see you writing more, Lisa!

Thanks!
I had this mad idea once I had finished my degree that I would have so much time on my hands to do the blog and work on the website.

I honestly don't know where it has all gone, and I definitely can't work out how I managed to fit the studying in!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:44:00 pm  
Blogger Mark J. Bobak said...

As to asking good questions, I think everyone (newbies and veterans alike) should read:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:02:00 pm  
Blogger Robert Vollman said...

Don't worry Bill, in my circles people try to avoid DBA positions just because there's TOO MUCH you need to know. Of course, then we get frustrated whenever us Oracle developers know more about Oracle than the DBAs. Fortunately that's a rare case.

You know, I've heard quite a few people rant about bad Technical Support from Oracle (or whoever). But coming from the other side, one of our frustrations are people like this lazy newbie Tom mentioned. They want us to do everything and are unprepared to figure things out for themselves. We're here to help, not do your work for you.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:30:00 pm  
Blogger Bill S. said...

Robert Vollman said....
They want us to do everything and are unprepared to figure things out for themselves. We're here to help, not do your work for you.


Looks like you agree with Tom's view of DBA and Developer being a collaborative effort, as do I. :-D

I don't mind helping out a colleague (spent a good part of last year assisting one of our developers work through a particularly nasty piece of code that needed writing - nasty as in complicated, not bad) - but I am already getting paid to do MY job , so unless you're ponying up some cash I ain't doin' yours as well. ;-D

Lisa Dobson said.....
Thanks!


You're welcome. I like this site, I've been lurking for some time now waiting to see another post. Funny how that works, being able to fit in studying and class and then, once you graduate, there IS NO FREE TIME STILL. Nature abhorrs a vacuum, so I'm told.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:30:00 pm  
Blogger DBA King said...

Here is my rant in support of that ...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:41:00 pm  
Blogger Kapavars said...

Is there any blog on Oracle Applications(Functional) that you know of

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:16:00 am  
Blogger DB.Centric said...

Hi Lisa. You could call me a newbie newbie (6 months old). It is an attitude problem when a new dba seeks help immediately. They forget that by doing the job themselves, they end up learning a whole lot of stuff they would never learn otherwise. Speaking for myself, its a challenge to get the answer all by myself....and in the process earn a high degree of self satisfaction.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home