Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Checking In

Well, here I am, back in the land of the living.
Sort of.

I've just noticed today's date, and that of my last post, and realised I have until tomorrow to prove I'm still here, before I get another mail from an unnamed individual telling me that I have once again taken a month off.

Hi Tom ;-)

Anyway, as I'm sure you can appreciate, this last month has been pretty hectic.
I had to finish up a project with my last employer which went live 2 days before I left.

Despite the various problems we came across, which I blogged about here , here and here , the end result was very successful.
In fact, on Go-live day, the users were unaware there was anything different.
Which is exactly the way it should have been, but I have to admit it felt like a bit of an anti-climax after 6 months of tearing my hair out!

Since then, I've managed to survive my first week with SolstonePlus and have been doing various UKOUG stuff.

My first week went very well, I know it was the right move to make, I'm hoping they have the same opinion!

I've been spending time at home lately getting to grips with the 10gR2 database and the DW and BI tools, something I plan to blog about in the next week or so.

On top of all that I'm also working on an abstract to submit to UKOUG 2006. It's likely to be based around the DW side of things, possibly a DBA's guide to DataWarehousing. I have a few ideas so we'll wait and see.

There is also the UKOUG Northern Server Technology Day next week.

I've been helping to organise it and it's going to be a fantastic event - the agenda can be found here.

Oh, and I managed to fit in my first dive of the season on Sunday.
Water temperature off the coast of North East England was 7 degrees celcius, therefore the dive was cold, dark and wet - tremendous fun!

So to summarise, I'm still here, still checking up on other blogs and seeing what people are up to.

It's just taken me a while to come up for air.

12 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Kyte said...

darn, I had the email all setup and ready to go!!!

therefore the dive was cold, dark and wet - tremendous fun!

yeah, sounds like extreme fun... hmmm. But then again, you do have this "thing" for water.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:51:00 pm  
Blogger Daniel Fink said...

So, are you going to make the "Last" Miracle Database Forum?????

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:27:00 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

Tom said...

you do have this "thing" for water.


I guess I'm just a true water baby at heart.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:38:00 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

Dan said...

are you going to make the "Last" Miracle Database Forum?????


I would love to. I knew it was coming up this year.

Unfortunately Doug (my other half, not Burns, before you start another urban myth!) and I are travelling to the Red Sea on the 30th.

I get to spend a week being the only girl, on a liveaboard with 19 men, diving the wrecks of the Northern Red Sea.

I may have to wait for the next 'last' one. :-)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:44:00 am  
Blogger Doug Burns said...

"Unfortunately Doug (my other half, not Burns, before you start another urban myth!)"

And your point is?!?!?!

;-)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:57:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

And your point is?!?!?!

Ha ha, no offence intended mate!

I just didn't want to offer Dan any more ammunition. I've been the butt of his jokes for long enough now, I didn't want him starting again on something else :-)

Anyway, this Northern Day next week. Are you travelling down the night before?

If so, fancy meeting for a pint?

I'm not sure who else will be there the night before but I thought it might be an idea to meet up.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:21:00 pm  
Blogger shrek said...

in your spare time you might find reading:

http://www.blogcity.com/gruntdba/

something to put you to sleep so you can rest up.;-)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:54:00 pm  
Blogger Doug Burns said...

Lisa said ...

"Anyway, this Northern Day next week. Are you travelling down the night before?

If so, fancy meeting for a pint?"

Maybe, but I'll reply properly off-line. This is our business, don't you think?

;-)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:26:00 pm  
Blogger Thomas Kyte said...

I don't know Doug - when you have to take it off line, that is when Dan will start to get interested...

word verification: okbuf

Lisa - it is saying "put back the old picture" :)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:50:00 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Lisa,

Don't worry, Dan's not posted on his own blog for over a month :)

Tom's email would likely have been followed by my own. Come on people, you are my somewhat tenuous link to my past life, you can't just not post!

Rachel

Friday, April 21, 2006 1:47:00 am  
Blogger Daniel Fink said...

Lisa does have a hard time with boundaries when it comes to Oracle and personal stuff. She is well known for having her own personal issues 'spill over' onto other areas...

Friday, April 21, 2006 7:33:00 pm  
Anonymous joao said...

How is your new boss? Is he nice?;)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:55:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home