Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Good News!

Today I passed my OCA exam, the first step to getting my Oracle 10g OCP Certification.

I have to admit to being quite nervous before taking the exam, after my grumblings last week I was worried that there was just too much to take in and I wouldn't remember it all.

In the end though, I did just fine.

It's actually surprising how much you take in without realising it - once I'd calmed down a bit and focused on the questions, it all just started coming back.

I think a lot of this may be down to the way that I prepared for the exam.
I tried to spread out the studying over a period of time, rather than trying to cram at the last minute.
As there are some topics that require a quite detailed understanding, I found that studying little and often was the best approach for me.

As some of the other Consultants at SolstonePlus are about to start studying for the exams, Mark has asked that I jot down a few notes to help the others with their studying.
Once I've done that I'll post it here.

One thing I will say to anybody who is thinking of going for the certification is that you have to be prepared to put the work in.
Studying for the exam has taken over my life for the last week.
In my opinion, it really isn't enough to skim through the text book the night before, or to just download and attempt the practice exams.

Again, I'm not wanting to spark up the 'to OCP or not to OCP' discussion, but I think it all boils down to why you are doing the exams.

My motivation wasn't just so that I could say I was an Oracle Certified Professional, or to be able to use the logo on my CV to impress people, but rather to strengthen the Oracle skills I already had.

In that respect, studying for, and taking the exam has done just that.

I have only been working with the 10g release for a couple of months now and, as I've mentioned before, my previous Oracle experience has been limited to small scale systems.

I now feel a lot more confident in my knowledge and abilities and have filled a lot of the gaps where there were things I felt I really should know.

All in all, whatever your personal views are on the OCP track, I'm quite proud of myself as I feel I have achieved something.

The Newbie tag is gone for good!

15 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Kyte said...


The Newbie tag is gone for good!


Not as long as you keep posting here!

Congratulations - well done.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:02:00 pm  
Blogger Daniel Fink said...

Lisa,

You will always (and we mean always!) be a Newbie to us.

Congrats on the exam...Is there an OCM in your future?

Dan

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:08:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thnaks Guys, I know that to both of you, and a few others, I will always be 'The Newbie'!

As for the OCM Dan, let me get the OCP out of the way first!!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:22:00 pm  
Blogger Rjamya said...

Congratulations Lisa !!!

maybe you can rename your blog to "Newbie OCA DBA" but can't get rid of the newbie part.

Care to list what you used as reference material(s)?

Raj

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:08:00 pm  
Blogger Doug Burns said...

Congratulations, Lisa.

We were having the recurring 'OCP conversation' at work yesterday. I won't add to the debate here, just bask in the glory ;-)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:21:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Cheers Doug, I'll let you buy me a celebratory pint the next time I see you - I know, it's nice of me. :-)


Raj - the reference I used was the Oracle press OCP All-in-one guide.
There's a link to the item from last weeks post.

I'll be putting a post up in a couple of days with all the study details.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:44:00 pm  
Blogger Pete_S said...

Just wait - you'll be the best looking ACE in Brighton soon!

Well done lass!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:13:00 pm  
Blogger Doug Burns said...

Pete S said

"Just wait - you'll be the best looking ACE in Brighton soon!"

Steady on! You *do* know Mark Rittman's an ACE too, don't you? How could she possibly compete with those eyebrows?

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:58:00 pm  
Blogger Niall said...

Hey congratulations girl, that's a real achievement. I hope that the notes you post don't prompt a lot of poorly spelled emails asking for exam cram info.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:36:00 am  
Blogger Bill S. said...

Bravo Lisa! Of course, none of us doubted for a moment you'd pass with flying colors.

So, now you're certifiable? * grin *

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:17:00 pm  
Blogger Ian Murphy said...

Congratulations :-)

I just took and passed (yesterday) the third in the 9i track, DBA Fundamentals II having passed the previous ones earlier this year.

I've got one more to do, Performance Tuning, and then some "on-site thing" before I'm an Oracle Certified Professional...

Congrats again!

IM

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 12:18:00 pm  
Blogger Indrajati Chairuddin said...

After 6 months preparation, finally I am also pass the OCA exam on June 19 .... with 2 times exam. I feel happy now. Now I am prepared for OCP. but I am so scared. I am so green in 10g. Maybe more newby than you. With very 0 (zero) experience on DBA 10g. When you are going to take an OCP exam .... Can we share the resource Lisa.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:52:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good deal..

which books have u gone thru for this test ? any certification books ?

thanks
Ram K

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:02:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ram K said....
any certification books ?



Have a look at this post...

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:17:00 pm  
Blogger Ayisha said...

these are gifts for everyone
Knowledge
Collection of books
Kitaben
Kitab ghar
Books and references
Liberary
booksshelf
Computer Science Reference Books
Rapidshare ebooks
Free collection of ebooks
Free Ebooks

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home