Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Life on the road

I'm now in my 6th week down here in London, and after this I have 6 weeks of the project remaining.

I've enjoyed my time down here, but I've realised pretty quickly that life on the road is very different to working 9 - 5 in a typical day job.

When I first took on this new job, I had a lot of people talking to me about the logistics of being away from home Monday to Friday. They basically talked about the ups and downs of living in hotels and out of suitcases.

To be honest, I haven't found that particularly hard.

I'm in a decent hotel, with good facilities, and I have friends in London that I have been able to meet up with, something that I wouldn't have been able to do as often if I weren't here.

Back home in Newcastle I live alone, so I'm used to curling up in front of the TV, reading a good book or messing about with my computer.

I'm in a long term relationship, but we have our own houses and we spend our weekends together, and I'm still able to do that.

What I have found to be a logistical problem is the little things you would never think of, especially for someone living alone. Things like being able to put my wheelie bin out the night before the refuse collection on a Wednesday for instance.

Luckily, my parents live just down the road so they are able to stop by and do it for me!

One of the other things I was warned about was spending endless lonely nights in a hotel.
I've found I actually have less time to myself during the week than I did have at home!
I'm making full use of the hotel facilities, seeing friends and, as the project I'm working on is quite intense, I do some work from the hotel at nights.

I guess this is just a really long preamble as to why the blog has not been updated in so long, but there you go!

I've got my laptop and 3g card all set up and running now so will be able to keep up with the latest happenings on all the other blogs, and also update this one a bit more regularly!

One thing I do have to add, and one thing I am really looking forward to at the end of the project, is that no matter how good the food is in the hotel, I really miss cooking a meal at home!!

Eating out round here is nice, particularly round Covent Garden and Leicester Square, although I did have a rather nice meal in Islington last week.

However, when I get home on a weekend, the other half invariably wants to go for a nice meal out together.
Either that or we are tucking into quiches and pasties that we have cut in half using a rather rusty dive knife on the back of a RIB.
Yes, he is a true romantic!

For a bit of a kitchen fiend like myself though, cooking a meal at home is the one thing I miss the most.
I'm not happy with a meal until I have used up every pot and saucepan in the cupboard, and I have more ingredients on the wall than on the plate.
I somehow don't think they'd appreciate me doing that here!

Anyway, time for me to depart to Slumberland now, armed with dreams of home-cooked food!

If anybody is in the London area - then let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger shrek said...

next time get them to put you up in one of those suite hotels where you get your own kitchen and can do your own cooking. and see if they can keep your room so you don't have to pack up everything and take it back with you. might even be a vit cheaper for them since they get the long term rate.

yes, i have done the road warrior thing.;-)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:21:00 pm  
Blogger Niall said...

back to slumberland or sunderland ?

Friday, August 18, 2006 9:38:00 pm  
Blogger William Robertson said...

> If anybody is in the London area - then let me know.

Well I am, along with ABB and Rices. Do we win anything?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:53:00 am  
Blogger David Aldridge said...

Let me throw in a word for the Coal Hole pub on The Strand -- I proposed to my wife in the basement bar, in the booth tucked round the back. Had to get her drunk first, see?

:D

Friday, September 01, 2006 5:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home