Thursday, January 04, 2007

Better late than never…

A belated Happy New Year to everyone!

2006 was a year of change for me, following my move to SolStonePlus in April. So rather than look back, I want to look forward to 2007 and the things that I’d like to do this year.
(I also thought this might be a good idea after reading Mark’s post and seeing that staff appraisal time is coming up!)

So, some of the things I would like to do in 2007 (in no particular order!) are:

Complete my OCP certification. I passed my OCA exam in 2006, so now I just need to find time to go on the second course and fit in some study time.
Complete the BI Jigsaw. Over the last few months I’ve been looking at various different products in isolation, such as Oracle Warehouse Builder and XML Publisher. What I want to do now is step back and improve my knowledge of the set of BI products as a whole, see how they all fit together and work together to provide different solutions. It’s important for me to have a rounded view of business intelligence as a whole, rather than just becoming an expert on one particular product.
More technical blogging. To help me achieve the above goal, I plan to do a series of blogs based on my learning. Rather than in-depth technical posts on the intricate ‘how to’ stuff, I’d like to start with a series of posts on the products, what they are and what they do. A sort of ‘beginners guide to business intelligence’ if you like. I’ll be looking at things like BI Suite Enterprise Edition – what does it include and how is it different from BI Suite Standard Edition. After the introduction stuff I will then look at delving deeper for the next series of posts.

On a personal level, I tend not to make ‘Resolutions’ every year, but some of the things I will be aiming for in 2007 are:

Be more organised. I have so much clutter at home that I sometimes can’t find something I just had five minutes ago! I had a big sort out over the weekend and have thrown out so much stuff, you know the kinds of things you keep because ‘it may come in handy one day’. We’re still arguing about the box of things I have collected on dives – the stuff I refer to as ‘treasure’ but he has deemed ‘junk’. I’m still winning on this one for the time being….
Get round to launching my new website – it’s been in draft mode for ages now, I just need to get on with it.
The usual stuff – you know, drink less, keep off the cigarettes, get fitter, that sort of thing.

So here’s to a new and improved 2007!

4 Comments:

Blogger shrek said...

and a happy new year to you too, pretty lady.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:04:00 pm  
Blogger William Robertson said...

I look forward to the "beginners' guides". I wish I knew WTF most of those BI products I hear about actually do.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:30:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

William - you're not the only one who thinks that!
That's why I thought I'd do this - it was a big learning curve for me and when I told people I'd moved jobs and was working with BI and DW stuff, I got quite a lot of 'so what does that mean exactly?' responses.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your webpage, I've finished all my Oracle 10g certification 15/01 this year. (I've followed couples of your advices.) I've first started with the DBA Assement, OCA and OCP. I found the OCP easier, but not the ASM part and it is necessary to know a lot about that and also about RMAN and Resource Manager....

So now I'm preparing the OCA of Oracle application server, Linux+ of CompTIA and Linux RCHE of Red Hat.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home