Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Unbelievable

I've been really shocked to hear what has been happening to Kathy Sierra.

Nobody should have to put up with that kind of abuse or bullying, but to think that this has possibly been directed at Kathy simply because she is a woman with an opinion, absolutely horrifies me.

It is inevitable, that by keeping a blog and putting your opinion out there that there will always be people who disagree with you. There will also always be people who may not like you, or you them.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it is just that, an opinion.

If I was to put something on here that somebody believed to be factually incorrect, then I would expect it to be questioned/challenged/debated - in an adult fashion.

If somebody had a negative opinion about me or the blog because they didn't like me, or my opinion, or the fact that I'm female, or the fact that I have blonde hair (or any other thing from a list of which I'm sure there are many) then quite simply don't read my blog.
Go and find somewhere else to vent your negative energy.

To think that this kind of bullying behaviour has been carried out by an adult, and not some primary school kid, is disgusting.
In fact that makes it worse as the threats are of a violent and sexual nature, and not just having your hair pulled in the playground.

I hope that Kathy has the strength and support to overcome this, and that they find out who was behind it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Vallee said...

A painful read, Lisa. Thanks for bringing this to our collective attention.

Paul

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:35:00 pm  
Anonymous miguel said...

Hi Lisa

What can you say about Oracle Security, do you know what to do to increase database security and avoid changes at the database?

Thanks for your answer

Miguel

Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:56:00 pm  
Blogger Robert Vollman said...

I wonder: would these bullies act the same way in a face-to-face situation? Or are they being normal but secretly thinking all those awful things?

As for the sexism issue, I think being a woman is a double-edged sword. I think it gives you a popularity boost, but it's also more likely to make you a target of this kind of abuse, too. Not really a good trade-off.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:16:00 pm  
Blogger toms said...

I first read about this on Tom Kyte's blog. I can't imagine how warped someone must be to do something like this. I would respond to the question asked by Robert Vollman like this: No, these bullies would not act like this in a face-to-face situation. They are cowards and use the anonymity of the Internet to hide their cowardice. Being a woman and being a blogger does not give these cowards license to do what they did to Kathy Sierra or anyone else.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:30:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Miguel,

For anything you need to know about Oracle Security matters, have a look at www.petefinnigan.com.

Lisa.

Friday, March 30, 2007 11:43:00 am  
Blogger Michael O'Shaugnessy said...

FYI - The link in the OP is broken.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:01:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home