Friday, August 24, 2007

UKOUG Event - Back to Basics: Database Administration

I’m absolutely ecstatic to announce that the UKOUG will be hosting a one day special event aimed at beginners.

It has long been noted that there have been plenty of expert sessions and advanced technical events, but relatively little aimed at the Oracle beginners out there.

After many discussions between myself, the UKOUG and my peers, we now have the ‘Back to Basics’ concept up and running, beginning with the Database Administration event.

‘Back to Basics: Database Administration’ will take place on February 28th, 2008 at Oracle’s City Office in London.

This event is aimed at Oracle DBA’s who are fairly new to the role and are looking to fill the gaps in their existing knowledge.
Maybe you’ve moved into a DBA role from a previous role as a developer or programmer and are looking for that bit of knowledge that’s missing.

The day will aim to provide hints and tips, ‘How to’ advice and point out things that you should be doing. There’ll also be a session on the best ways to get help and how to take your learning forward.
Please note though that this should not be considered a training course in how to learn Oracle.

There is a lot of support for this event from popular speakers so this is an opportunity for beginners to learn from the experts.
As a taster, we have confirmation that Pete Finnigan will be presenting a beginners guide to Oracle Security!

A draft Agenda is in place, in terms of the topics we will be covering, however as it is not yet confirmed there is an opportunity for you to have some say in what you would like to see.

The UKOUG have published an online survey here to give you the chance to provide some direction in what you would like to see covered. It’s also an opportunity for us to gauge the number of people who would be interested in attending.

If you, or any of your colleagues would be interested in the Back to Basics day then please take just a few minutes to fill in the survey.

I hope that all the Newbies out there are as pleased to hear this as I am, and I will hopefully see many of you there!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Lisa,

I'd be happy to do a beginners guide to data warehousing, or business intelligence, or the OLAP Option or whatever. Let me know if this would be of interest.

cheers

Mark

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:01:00 pm  
Blogger Mark said...

Lisa

Ah, just read that it's about database administration. How about "a beginners guide to administering an Oracle Data Warehouse?"

regards

MArk

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:02:00 pm  
Blogger DaaaaYankeesWin said...

Hello Lisa, I just came across your blog and I think it is great.

I also looked up your profile and, other than the DBA part, you and I are doing much of the same things: BI and DW.

Anyhow, I just started on a new project and I'm getting some resistance with which SQL standard to follow: ANSI-89 or ANSI-92. I was used to work with the former, till on my prior engagement I started used the ANSI-92 standard and I took a liking to it. Well, on my current project there a number of people against using ANSI-92 but they don't really have a valid argument or point. It's just about style and preference, there's no tangible evidence on their part as to why they don't want to use it.

Ideas/thoughts?

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:14:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Mark,

What I probably didn't make clear enough in the post is that the idea is a 'Back to Basics' concept.
This can cover a series of events for whatever would be of interest.

The Database Administration event is just the first of many(hopefully!).

I envisaged having the DBA event first as it is more generalised, then, if there is enough interest, we can work on other areas.
For example, as you said, we can do 'Back to Basics: Business Intelligence' or dedicate a day to Performance moitoring and tuning.

Thanks for the offer of a presentation, I'll be in touch.

Lisa.

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:18:00 pm  
Blogger Mohammad Taj said...

Hello Lisa,

Good event for beginners...

Monday, August 27, 2007 8:38:00 am  
Anonymous Seth said...

Wow...great..this is a big EVENT for beginners.
How about a guide to beginners administering an Oracle Data Warehouse?"

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:38:00 am  
Anonymous Mit said...

Hi Lisa
Just come across your blog
thanks for sharing
it is one of the good Database Administration. Actually I have read some of your post earlier. Keep posting. How about the RAC Stuff for newbies

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home