Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tag - I'm it!

Well, thanks to Doug Burns for 'Tagging' me and to Jake for starting the whole thing off, it would appear that it's my turn to reveal 8 things about myself.

It's probably not a bad way to kick off the blog for 2008 so here goes...

1) I'm a mad keen scuba-diver. Since getting my qualifications in 2003, I've been all over the place in search of that elusive sunken Treasure Galleon. My favourite dives of all time have to have been in the Red Sea and I'm now looking forward to heading East to try out Thailand and Indonesia.

2) I've suffered from severe eczema since childhood. It comes and goes, some flare ups are worse than others but I've often required hospital treatment for it. I'm currently undergoing treatment with a new sort of trial medication at the moment and, fingers crossed, it appears to be working incredibly well!

3) Like Doug, I guess I have always like the sound of my own voice, I always took part in my school Public Speaking competition from the age of 11 and won prizes on 2 occasions. I was also part of the school debating team.

4) I have a completely ridiculous shoe collection.
Even by most girl's standards I have far too many and none of them are practical in any sense at all. Some of them are so uncomfortable that I have only worn them once since buying them. Oh, and I have a bit of a thing about handbags too (but only if they match my shoes) :-)

5) I can hand on heart, honestly say that I once worked for a complete Mickey Mouse employer.
I spent most of 1996 working behind a bar in Disneyland Paris. Took a year out from doing my degree first time round and had probably one of the most fun years in my life.

6) I'm pretty good at learning languages. Maybe a bit rusty now but my French was fluent, I could also get by in German. I also made a point at university (where I studied languages before giving up, moving to Paris and then falling into IT) of learning to swear in Spanish, Italian and Greek.
I can also speak English and Geordie as and when required, but most people would so that I'm not very good at either :-)

7) I never had any intention of working within IT. I always wanted to be either a barrister, a forensic scientist, or to do something with languages. I ended up in IT after coming home from Paris, taking a job through an Agency as an Accounts clerk and then somehow winding up in the IT Dept when they upgraded the Oracle Financials System.

8) When I was 17, I had to get my Mum to show me 'which way up a chicken went'. Seriously. For the life of me I could not work out how the thing I had seen running round the yard at our friends house could be associated with the funny looking thing on the blue plastic tray in Tesco.
The day I worked up the courage to ask, my Mum took it upon herself to unwrap the chicken, fold out the legs and wings and make it walk along the kitchen bench - all the while making clucking noises to aid the authenticity.
Up until then I had always thought chickens had humped-backs as i didn't realise they were upside down when pre-packed. Seriously.
To this day my family have never let me forget that, and I cannot belive I have just shared it here.

But anyway, that's all from me, and now I'm tagging Peter Scott, Dan Fink, Pete Finnigan, Niall Litchfield, Beth Breidenbach, Neil Jarvis, and Tom Kyte.

Have fun guys!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Fun -- and I'm devastated that you didn't tag me!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disney World Florida as of January 1 has a restaurant that does not allow children.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:13:00 pm  
Anonymous DBA said...

Thank you for your article

Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:58:00 am  
Anonymous DBA said...

Thank you for your article

Saturday, December 19, 2009 8:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home