Monday, October 26, 2009

Back to......being employed

After leaving the world of Consultancy behind in February, I had 5 months of unemployment during which time I learned 2 valuable lessons;

1) I make a lousy housewife
2) It is possible to survive for 5 months without new shoes

Both of these things surprised me.

Thankfully I was able to find work before I drove myself and my other half completely round the twist.

Since July I have been working at Durham University as part of the Data & Business Applications Team within IT Services. My role here is Oracle DBA/Project Tech Lead which means I am able to get involved in some fun stuff, but it’s also been a challenge.

3 months in and we’ve already worked on an app upgrade that involved a move from 10.2.0.4 (32-bit) to 11.1.0.7 (64-bit). Like I said, fun but challenging and I’m learning new stuff every day.

I’ve settled in really well and am getting used to the routine of 9-5, even if the daily commute can sometimes be a nightmare.
All in all it has worked out well in the end for the right reasons, even if it was a difficult and daunting decision to make at the time.

It’s going to be all systems go at work for the next couple of months with a project we are working on and then it will be time to head to Birmingham for the annual UKOUG Tech and EBS Conference.
I’m not presenting this year as at the time of call for papers I had no idea as to where I would be or what I would be doing come December, so I am really looking forward to getting to go and see other presentations and catching up with all the usual suspects.

Fun times ahead!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Doug Burns said...

2) It is possible to survive for 5 months without new shoes

Only if you've managed to build up a 3 year surplus to fall back on ...

Monday, October 26, 2009 4:54:00 pm  
Blogger Niall said...

I very much doubt that you are using the correct definition of housewife in your point 1. I suggest you check with Doug (not Burns he just talks nonsense about shoes - the other one :))

Niall

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:20:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

@Doug
But they're all old ones, so they don't count.
Funny dilemma - way back in April when I was looking for work I got a call from an agency. Would I consider relocating to London, Jimmy Choo were recruiting Oracle staff.
The other half managed to wrestle the phone off me before I could commit to foregoing the salary and just being paid in shoes.

@Niall
Nope, I really made a lousy housewife. Too easily distracted from the chores - including the time I almost burned the house down by allowing a pan of potatoes to boil dry as I was too busy on the laptop to notice anything was wrong.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56:00 am  
Anonymous Aman.... said...

Lisa,

Good to hear that you have got settled down in the new job. Wish you all the best and good luck :).

Cheers
Aman....

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:21:00 am  
Blogger PdV said...

So will you show off a new pair of shoes at UKOUG ?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:23:00 pm  
OpenID mwidlake said...

I took several months off after my last permy job, to see how I liked being a work-shy loafer living off my wife- I liked it but she didn't.
Mind you, I'm cheap to keep as I only buy new shoes as often as I buy a computer, every 2 or 3 years. But I really wanted the little black cocktail dress, so it was back to the databases for me...

Monday, November 02, 2009 2:22:00 pm  
Blogger Merope said...

Lisa, this is a fantastic blog.. thanks for sharing all those!

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your posts. . Welcome back .. I have a similar story which now i can share on my site as well. Good luck and i will keep checking back.

Regards,
Andy D.
http://www.franklinfaces.com/Forum75-1.aspx

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:25:00 pm  
Blogger drtweety said...

hey what do u recommend for a new dba learner?

Monday, August 02, 2010 9:44:00 am  
Blogger Tani said...

This is a fantastic blog.. thanks for sharing all those!
sap upgrade

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home